Saturday, September 5, 2009

The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever, that the first great and primary business which I ought to attend every day was, to have my soul happy in the Lord.
...
For I might seek to set the truth before the unconverted, I might seek to benefit unbelievers, I might seek to relieve the distressed, I might in other ways seek to behave myself as becomes a child of God in this world; and yet, not being happy in the Lord, and not being nourished and strengthened in my inner man day by day, all this might not be attended to in a right spirit.

Before this time my practice had been, at least for ten years previously, as an habitual thing, to give myself to prayer, after having dressed in the morning. Now I saw, that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the word of God and to meditation on it... that my heart might be brought into experiential, communion with the Lord. I began therefore, to meditate on the New Testament, from the beginning, early in the morning.
George Mueller

No comments:

Post a Comment